Friday, December 31, 2010

2010 books

Just as a prompt to my own memory, I'm going to list the books I've read in 2010, in more-or-less chronological order. It's been a very good year. Some real winners in there, and even most of the non-winners were quite good (unlike 2009 which was, for the most part, a disappointment)

*=Recommended
X=Stay away
  • The Brothers Karamazov: Dostoevsky
  • Things Fall Apart: Chinua Achebe
  • X Snuff: Chuck Palahniuk (audiobook)
  • * The White Tiger: Aravind Adiga (my review here)
  • Ethan Frome: Edith Wharton (my review here)
  • * An Enemy of the People: Henrik Ibsen (my review here)
  • Hedda Gabler: Henrik Ibsen
  • * Fear of Flying: Erica Jong (I'd read it maybe 20 something years ago...it's so much more meaningful now :-)
  • The Wild Duck: Henrik Ibsen
  • X Lovers' Vows: Elizabeth Inchbald (my review here)
  • * Good Omens: Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett (audiobook) (Probably the most fun read I had this year -- my review here)
  • X The Story of Edgar Sawtelle: David Wroblewski (audiobook)
  • Herland: Charlotte Perkins Gilman
  • For the Win: Cory Doctorow (I'd put this as a * if you're willing to put up with a lot of discussion about computer gaming -- excellent intro for teens to a lot of economic concepts -- Annapurna loved it; very thought provoking)
  • Unaccustomed Earth: Jhumpa Lahiri (audiobook)
  • Up in Honey's Room: Elmore Leonard (audiobook)
  • The Graveyard Book: Neil Gaiman (audiobook)
  • * Remarkable Creatures: Tracy Chevalier (audiobook) (my review here)
  • X High Plains Tango: Robert James Waller (audiobook) (I'm a little hesitant to put an X -- there was a lot I liked in this one, but...where was the editor???)
  • The Odyssey: Homer, via Butler (with Annapurna)
  • Delivered from Distraction: Edward Hallowell and John Ratey (I'd put this as a *, but it's really for the ADD/ADHD crowd)
  • The Lady and the Unicorn: Tracy Chevalier (audiobook)
  • The Mission Song: John LeCarre (audiobook)
  • Disobedience: Jane Hamilton (audiobook)
  • Helen: Euripides, via E.P. Coleridge
  • X A Way With Words IV: Understanding Poetry: Michael Drout (audiobook) - Very focused on the syntactic, and organized purely chronologically...very shopping list feel to it.
  • Babbitt: Sinclair Lewis (audiobook)
  • Tropic of Capricorn: Henry Miller (audiobook) (Not sure I can really claim to have read this one...the prose is lovely, but it's only marginally easier to follow than Quentin's portion of The Sound and the Fury -- I confess my mind wandered more than a little.)
  • Northanger Abbey: Jane Austen (for only about the 3rd time...it's my second least favorite Austen)
  • Ghosts: Henrik Ibsen
  • The History of Tom Jones, a foundling: Henry Fielding (I'd put this as a * if you're willing to put up with 18th Century-speak)
  • A Mercy: Toni Morrison (audiobook) (This one could probably stand another round of reading, to really say I've read it. It's got a fairly complex structure. And it's a little hard to follow on audio for two reasons: first, the narrative keeps shifting points of view, without much of a cue; second, it is read by Morrison, herself, with a lovely poetic voice, but with phrase breaks that made it hard for me to parse.
  • How to Read and Understand Poetry (audiobook): Willard Spiegelman, via The Teaching Company (I liked this one much better than the one by Michael Drout, though I'm still stumped)
  • About 6 zillion OMB memoranda and NIST Special Publications from the 800 series...especially 800-53 (Many are quite good, really -- highly recommended if you're in the IT Security business, or even just IT.)
Started:
  • Neuromancer: William Gibson -- just haven't been able to get into this one...it's been recommended to me several times...I'll keep trying
  • Nuclear Jellyfish: Tim Dorsey (audiobook) -- too many in jokes about Lynyrd Skynrd and Florida for me to follow...just wasn't compelling enough for me.
  • Transmission: Hari Kunzru (whose "The Impressionist" I loved) -- nothing wrong with this one...just it's on paper, and my life does not permit much paper reading
  • Malgudi Days: R.K. Narayan -- I absolutely loved the parts I read...just it's on paper
  • Vindication of the Rights of Woman: Mary Wollstonecraft -- I'm sure it was controversial and exciting in its time, but it harped a bit too much on the moral and chastity advantages of educating women to get me really worked up enough to plow through it.

And with Sidharta:

  • * Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH: Robert C. O'Brien
  • * lots and lots and lots of Calvin and Hobbes: Bill Watterson
  • The Lightning Thief: Rick Riordan
  • The Titan's Curse: Rick Riordan
  • The Battle of the Labyrinth: Rick Riordan
  • The Last Olympian: Rick Riordan
  • lots of Asterix
  • Assorted "educational" books on UFO's and cryptids
  • Assorted Amar Chitra Katha comics on various characters from the Ramayana and Mahabharata
  • Part of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (he read most of it himself -- Thank You, Rick Riordan, for waking him up to the joys of reading!)

And with Annapurna (who has very little time for stories these days) parts of:

  • The Wee Free Men: Terry Pratchett
  • Grimm's Fairy Tales
  • Frankenstein: Mary Shelley

No comments: