Thursday, June 27, 2013

The origin of evil genius

I guess I always assumed that the term "evil genius" was a Batman or James Bond kind of term, a reflection of the deranged excesses of 20th Century greed and technology.  Perhaps in the cartoon usage it is.  But I ran across a much older use of this phrase.

I am currently reading (make that slogging through) Camilla by Fanny Burney.  In it, the sweet young heroine, Camilla, in love with the wealthy, but apparently indifferent Edgar Mandelbert, is trying to fend off the advances of the wealthy and somewhat annoying Sir Sedley Clarendel, who is being egged on in his suit by their mutual friend Mrs. Arlbery.
'O, Mrs. Arlbery!' she cried, 'lend me, I beseech you, some aid, and spare me, in pity, your raillery! Sir Sedley, I fear, greatly mistakes me; set him right, I conjure you....' 
'Me, my dear? and do you think if some happy fatality is at work at this moment to force you to your good, I will come forth, like your evil genius, to counteract its operations?'
Wiktionary provides this sense as its first definition of evil genius: The spirit each person is believed to have in attendance, according to certain religious or mythological traditions, which tries to negatively influence him, and is opposed by one's good genius; loosely, someone who is a bad influence.

No comments: